Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Holding On For As Long As I Can

It's heartbreaking really.  My kids are growing up.

My older daughters live exactly 500 miles from my doorstep to their's.  They live in Long Island, NY.  Their schedule has been getting busier every year.  The oldest daughter opted to get her work permit and found a job at the ripe ole' age of 15.  The middle daughter, just shy of 13, has immersed herself in activities.  This means that our time is starting to become limited.

If last weeks visit is any indication of things to come, they were physically here.  Their minds were back in Long Island though.  Technology is great.  They were able to keep their live's going through e-mail, chat screen, and text messaging.  No different than us adults really.  We tend to keep our work moving forward in the same way.

I've been facing the inevitable since they've moved.  Letting go a little at a time. Every parent faces it at some point though.  I guess mine came a little earlier than most.  At some point, kids go to college or get married.  They strike out on their own.  Parents begin to let go.

I guess I prefer to call it holding on for as long as I can.  It gives a more positive feel than letting go a little at a time.  That being said, reach out right now.  Enjoy some time with those you love.  Time is fleeting.  I chose to spend some time with the girls at the local Laser Quest.  In which, my oldest schooled me for the first time in the Ironman Mission.

It's heartbreaking really.  My kids are growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment