Monday, April 11, 2011

Roadtrip To Charleston

So, The roadtrip went well.  The Route 1 Ends performed flawlessly.  As a matter of fact, she was posting 33.5 miles per gallon.  This is a very good benchmark to keep in mind when planning future road trips.  We put her up on the trailer to haul her back to Ohio.  My brother needed to clean his driveway up a little bit.  So, his truck and trailer now reside in southern Ohio.



I had an excellent time with my Dad.  I heard so many stories.  I wouldn't even know where to begin in telling them.  I'll touch on them from time to time in this blog.  We are alike in so many ways.  It is crazy.  We both had to deal with similar challenges, Although 30 years apart.  When my girls moved to Long Island a few years back, I had some challenges with loss.  I was used to them being here with me.  Well near me.  I had to learn to deal with this loss.  This was not that different from when my Dad had to let us go all those years ago.  He was dealing with similar loss it seems.  It seems it was a challenge for both of us. 



My brother was incredibly busy.  So, the timing of the trip could have been better.  I think that he felt he had to entertain us.  He is in charge of making sure the local newspaper get to the doorstep daily on time.  This means that he has to count on people.  Counting on people is a huge challenge.  The second day of the trip he received 12 complaint phone calls.  The guy on that route didn't finish the last 15 deliveries.  Crazy.  Needless to say, that guy was fired.  So, I offered to help on the Sunday Morning delivery.  I was able to help with the single copy.  This meant that we had to pick up the front page and the special bridge run booklet from the printer at 12:00 AM.  Once we recieved these, we had to scoot back to the warehouse to pair these two parts with the other three parts.  This week was a five part paper.  Once all the papers parts were together, I rode with June to deliver the single copy to local stores and paper boxes throughout the territory.  If I remember right,  we finished combining the parts and were rolling out at 3:00 AM or so.  We had about 40 stops.  We wrapped up the single copy at around 6:00 AM.  My brother then picked me up from the warehouse to finish his route.  He wrapped up this route by 8:00 AM.  Ideally, they like to be wrapped up by 7:00 AM.  When we got back to the house, I crashed.  But, I was up and moving by noon. 


We spent most of Sunday in and around Charleston.  Here are some random shots:









1 comment: