Monday, April 25, 2011

Corpus Christi.... The Play

I attended the Good Friday performance of the play Corpus Christi.  Yes, it is a controversial play.  Yes, there were protestors.  Both the church and production company were hit with hate mail...  Hate mail from churches.  Think about that.  The hate mail was from churches.  Yes. the subject matter was adult in nature and outside of what most consider the norm.  I went with an open mind.  I felt that it was an excellent play.  It revisited the story of  Jesus Christ.  I was fortunate enough to know two of the actors in this production.  Both are phenomenal.  The part of Jesus is in this case was played by a female lead.  You can tell the ability of an actor by how believable the performance is.  Let me tell you.  I hurt when he was betrayed.  I hurt when he was in the garden.  I almost had to leave as they drove in the nails because I truly felt for him.  So, there was a whole lot of talent going on. 


Afterwards, I had a healthy discussion about the play and life really.  It is amazing to be on the same wave length with like minded individuals. 

I have to give props to the church that hosted the event.  This church is a true example of what I feel a church should be.  They open their doors to anyone.  They didn't criticize.  They didn't judge.  They didn't turn away.  It is the First Grace United Church Of Christ located at 350 S. Portage Path, Akron.

I will end this post with a quote from their website.  "No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here."

No comments:

Post a Comment