Monday, February 21, 2011

So, little steps for the long haul.

As I make my way deeper into the Revive book, It's becoming increasingly clear that right out of the gates a lifestyle change is recommended.  While, I have made up my mind to change my life.  It's not as well received by my spouse or offspring.  Although, I'm sure it would improve their quality of life as well.  So, I'll have to fight this battle on my own for now.  I hope that I'll inspire them to improve their nutrition in some way through my example.
The program seems to be a little more complicated than I had hoped.  His first recommendation is to clean out the cupboard to get rid of all the chemical laden foods.  I am embarrased to say that I think thats all that might be in there.  I'll, reluctantly, leave those to the family to eat.  I made it to point in the book where we start the program.  It's called Week One - Nourish.  This week, the focus will be on removing sugars and processed foods and will be adding smoothies.  (If I can figure out where to purchase all these powders for the Smoothies.)
There is no doubt in my mind that this will be a hybrid program for me.  I will not be able to follow this to a tee.  Therefore, I will take the best principles from it and simplify them to my liking.  Today, I had 1 pack of original instant oatmeal for breakfast with 15 grams of Sugar.  For lunch, I hit up China King Restaraunt for 1/2 cup of steamed vegetables with 1/4 cup of steamed white rice.  Yeah, I know I didn't totally cut out the sugar.  But, my sugar intake today is no where near where it's been.  So, little steps for the long haul. 
I like to strip things down to their simplest form.  While mixing powders together to make the Breakfast Workday Smoothie sounds easy enough to do, I'm going to keep instant oatmeal in there as a backup.  For lunch, I plan on fresh raw vegetables from the grocer or steam vegetable from a local chinese restaraunt.  Just changing one meal a day to all vegetables will be an improvement.  I haven't hit dinner yet.  I have enough of the vegetables left to make another meal.  This will most likely be how it plays out.
Then, the real battle begins -- The after dinner but before bedtime snackfest.  This is where discipline comes in.  Did I mention that my wife posted a picture of me and my daughter in the pool on Facebook?  It was not real flattering.  Did I mention that I have an upcoming class reunion?  I don't want to look like a slob there.  Anyway, thats my motivation.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I should have read all the newer posts before I requested a book report in my last comment :) it sounds like a good system actually! Not sure I could handle it as I am somewhat addicted to canned spray cheese! I wish I could though, always admired people who were able to eat in healthy ways!

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike... Thanks for the comments. I went back to the first book, "Clean". I'll cover it in an upcoming blog. It's a three week commitment and much more appealing. Thanks for following as well.

    ReplyDelete